Cinnamon Apple Chips
Note: There’s no need to core the apples since boiling them in juice for several minutes softens the core and removes the seeds.
Makes: approximately 40 chips
- 2 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 Red Delicious apples
- In a large skillet or pot, combine apple juice and cinnamon stick; bring to a low boil while preparing apples.
- Wth sharp knife, slice off 1/2-inch from top and bottom of apples and discard. Stand apples on either cut end and slice the apple very thin.
- Drop apple slices into boiling juice; cook 4-5 minutes or until slices appear translucent and lightly golden. Meanwhile, heat oven to 250 degrees.
- With slotted spatula, remove apple slices from juice and pat dry. Arrange slices on cooling racks (do not overlap). Place racks on the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes until apple slices are slightly browned and almost dry to touch.
- Let chips cool on racks completely before storing in airtight containers.
Nutrition Facts: 42 calories; 0 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol; 4 mg sodium; 11 g carbohydrate; .2 g fiber; .1 protein