Achieving and maintaining a healthy lifestyle can be challenging, but is extremely important to ensure good health and an improved quality of life. Armed with the latest nutritional information, Berks Encore knows that older adults can make healthful choices and lifestyle changes to improve their overall health and well-being.
Food safety is very important. In addition to washing your hands and keeping the work surfaces clean, it is also important to verify that your dishes are cooked properly by using an instant-read thermometer.
Diet-Related Chronic Diseases
According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), diet-related chronic diseases are taking a toll on our society. Check out the numbers:
- 37% of the population have cardiovascular disease
- 34% of U.S adults have hypertension (high blood pressure)
- 11% of the population ages 20 years and older have diabetes
- 41% of the population will be diagnosed with cancer during their lifetime
- One out of every two women and one in four men ages 50 years and older will have an osteoporosis-related fracture in their lifetime.
New Virtual Healthy Cooking Class
Ready to try a virtual cooking class? Kathy Roberts and Martha Sitler, our Health & Wellness team invite you to join them for Healthy Cooking=Healthy Eating . A zoom cooking class – Wednesday, April 28 from 10 am – 11 am. Spring for More Veggies & Fruits. Most adults fall short of eating recommendations for fruits & vegetables. Add more to your diet to reduce the risk of chronic conditions.
Register for the class by calling Kathy 484-388-3196 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you haven’t zoom-ed yet – don’t worry, if you have a smart phone, laptop or tablet – we can walk you through it.
One in every three U.S. adults is overweight or obese, resulting in many diet-related chronic diseases. The following articles provide insight into ways to improve your eating habits.
- Spring Into Action With Healthful Lifestyle Habits by Meredith McGrath, RD, LDN – Corporate Dietitian, Redner’s Warehouse Markets
- Artichoke Turkey Pizza
- Cinnamon Apple Slices
- New Wave Chicken Salad
- Sweet and Salty Nuts
- Turkey Vegetable Hash Brown Quiche