Meals on Wheels
Meals on Wheels
For many Americans, Meals on Wheels is literally the difference between remaining in their own homes and needing to relocate to a nursing facility. The nutritious meal, friendly visit and safety check help them cope with three of the biggest threats of aging: hunger, isolation and loss of independence. Research proves that when seniors have the right support, they gain greater quality of life, need fewer hospital stays and live longer.
Meals on Wheels serves individuals who are unable to prepare their own food because of physical limitations. A home visit is required to determine eligibility, and if found eligible, arrangements are made to have meals delivered to the individual’s home. At Berks Encore, we aim to serve everyone in need of home-delivered meals. The Meals on Wheels program provides not just a nutritious meal, but also a check in by a volunteer.
Meals are packed in each of our six centers to help save time, money, and other valuable resources. Our centers also provide congregate meals to seniors who are not homebound, yet unable to prepare their own meals. Everyone age 60+ is invited to enjoy a hot nutritious meal while in a social environment at one of our community centers.
Meals on Wheels Eligibility Guidelines
There are conditions of need and requirements for service to be eligible to participate in the Meals on Wheels program. Consumers applying for the Meals on Wheels program must be 60+ and must be homebound by illness, handicap and/or functional disability meeting the following guidelines:
- Physically, emotionally, or mentally unable to prepare their own meals and/or
- Have no family or friends or aids available or willing on an ongoing or temporary basis, to assist with meal preparation and/or grocery shopping and/or
- Physically, emotionally, mentally unable to attend or has no access to a Senior Center close to home, and/or
- Have no cooking facilities in their home and/or
- Lack of resources (money) for meals and/or
- Currently not active with a Community Health Choice Waiver program, or Senior Life
When individual circumstances do not indicate the possibility of change in status and the person must continue to receive Meals on Wheels, an annual evaluation determines and documents his/her continuing need.
- There is no cost for the meals, donation of $2.50/meal is suggested.
- MOW is not based on income however eligibility is based on need.
- Meals are delivered Monday-Friday, no weekends, no major holidays
- The care coordinator will call for an appointment to visit and determine eligibility and to obtain and update personal information.
- Once a consumer is determined eligible for Meals on Wheels, the consumer is started on the program within a few days depending upon route availability.
Submit a Meals on Wheels Referral
To refer someone to the Meals on Wheels Program, complete this referral form.
April Home Delivered Menu English (Reading Center)
April Home Delivered Menu Spanish (Reading Center)
April Congregate Menu English (Reading Center)
April Congregate Menu Spanish (Reading Center)
April Home Delivered menu (All Other Centers)
April Congregate Menu (All Other Centers)
May Home Delivered Meals English (Reading Center)
May Home Delivered Meals Spanish (Reading Center)
May Congregate Menu English (Reading Center)
May Congregate Menu Spanish (Reading Center)
May Home Delivered Menu (All Other Centers)
May Congregate Menu (All Other Centers)
Thanks to everyone who supported the share the Love Event at Steve Moyer Subaru!
For every new Subaru vehicle leased or sold through January 3, 2022, Subaru donated $250 to the customer’s choice of one of the participating national charities. Meals on Wheels America was one of the select charities. In addition, Berks Encore was chosen by Steve Moyer Subaru as a Hometown Charity which helped them earn a share of the dollars donated.
We’re incredibly grateful to Subaru and its retailers for supporting Berks Encore and the older adults we serve. Their contribution to Berks Encore each year helps deliver a nutritious meal, friendly visitor and a safety check to our homebound neighbors. Our volunteers love Subaru too! Take a look at these volunteers in their Subaru’s ready to deliver in 2022!