Sweet and Spicy Nuts
Meredith suggests omitting the “spicy” portion of the recipe to create a sweet nut version or experimenting with other spices that you like. The nuts make a great gift.
Makes: 3 1/3 cups or 18 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsps. cinnnamon, ground
- 1/2 tsp. Allspice, ground
- 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper, ground
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, ground
- 1 egg white
- 3 cups mixed nuts such as almonds, cashews, peanuts and pecans
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Mix sugar, cinnamon, allspice, seasoned salt, pepper and nutmeg in a small bowl until well blended.
- Beat egg white in a large bowl until foamy.
- Add nuts and toss to coat well.
- Add spice mixture to coat nuts evenly.
- Spread nuts in a single layer on lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake 1 hour, stirring once. Cool slightly and break apart. Cool completely and store in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Nutrition Facts: 169 calories; 13 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol; 137 mg sodium; 9 g carbohydrate; 2 g fiber; 4 g protein